From boosting energy levels, improving brainpower and replenishing electrolytes after a workout, there are a number of reasons why men take vitamins and supplements. But how do you know which supplements you should take? That itself is a challenging question. The answer is, “it depends.” It depends on your age, level of activity, diet and deficiency that you may be trying to correct.
With so many options available it can be overwhelming when selecting the proper supplements and vitamins to take. There are numerous supplements available that are marketed in such a manner that you feel obligated to take them but the need to take supplements totally depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Taking the necessary vitamins and supplements is only part of the solution. Remember that vitamins and supplements work best with a healthy lifestyle and sound diet.
So the question you may be asking is what are the best supplements for men to take?
What are the Best Supplements for Men?
There is no secret recipe as to what the top vitamins and nutritional supplements are that males should take. Men are all different, have different nutritional needs, different workout habits and as a result have different supplement requirements. In addition some men may be mineral deficient in certain areas. Determining the best supplements to take is a matter of understanding your nutritional needs. Scientific research suggests that the following supplements can assist in building muscle, improving memory, assisting in weight loss, boosting energy and even improving sexual performance.
- Improve Memory – Gingko Biloba. If you have a hard time staying focused or need a brain boost, adding a cognitive supplement such as Gingko Biloba can help enhance memory and brain function.
- Reduce Body Fat – Garcinia Cambogia. There are a number of fat burners and weight loss supplements that are available for both men and women. Garcinia Cambogia is one of the more popular supplements that men are taking to support appetite control and inhibit fat production. In addition to Garcinia Cambogia, studies have shown that the combination of caffeine and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is found in green tea led to a small but significant weight loss.
- Increase Energy Levels – Branched Chain Amino Acids. Feeling like a zombie all the time? Talking yourself out of workouts? There are a number of energy booster supplements that can kick-start your workouts. Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), which include the essential amino acids such as isoleucine, valine, and leucine can be taken in supplement form before, during or after a workout to help improve exercise performance and endurance.
- Improve Recovery after Workouts – Amino Acids. Hydrate with a sports drink or a sugar free amino acid blend designed to trigger muscle protein synthesis and speed recovery while you train.
- Reduce Blood Pressure – CoEnzyme Q-10 or CoQ-10 is known to lower your blood pressure while boosting your levels of an enzyme called ecSOD, which is thought to protect blood vessels.
- Improve Sexual Performance - Red Korean Ginseng Root. There are various sexual performance supplements that men can take to improve sexual performance, Red Korean Ginseng root has been known to help with erectile dysfunction. In addition, a recent Canadian study suggests that a daily dose of Red Korean Ginseng root reduced arterial stiffness.
- Reduce Joint Pain – Glucosamine. Glucosamine which is a building block of cartilage, can relieve pain and inflammation in joints. Joint supplements such as Glucosamine can help with lubrication of joints preventing breakdown after strenuous exercise. Glucosamine with Chondroitincan help build and protectjoint cartilage via additional nutrient intake by inhibiting cartilage-damaging enzymes.
- Improve Prostate Health – Lycopene. Lycopene is a potent antioxidant that researches state may work by altering hormone metabolism and by causing cancer cells to self-destruct. Improve Prostate Health with natural supplements and diet.
- Build Muscle – Creatine. Creatine monohydrate is one of the most effective supplements for building muscle size and strength. Creatine supplements are designed to increase recovery, increase power output in workouts, and improve recovery between sets.
- Recover from an injury – Vitamin C or Glucosamine. Vitamin C helps protect your cells from the tissue-damaging free radicals produced by exercise. It also helps heal wounds, and it is key to production of the collagen found in ligaments and tendons. Speaking of ligaments and tendons, glucosamine and collagen supplements have also been known to help strengthen both.
In addition to the supplements mentioned above, males should take a daily multivitamin to supplement any nutrition gaps in their diets and to promote overall wellness. Adding nutritional sports supplements to your daily intake may improve your health and overall well-being as well as aid in faster recovery from weight training, exercise or strenuous labor. Of course results will vary so educate yourself on what works best with your body and metabolism.
At Sports Nutrition Center, we have a great selection of supplements for men to choose from and carry notable brands such as 1st Step, Himalaya, Labrada, Nutrakey and VitaLabs. We offer great online pricing. Take a look at our inventory and place your order today!